22.2783GPPService requirements for the Evolved Packet System (EPS)TS
The Evolved Packet System is a higher-data-rate, lower-latency, packet-optimized system that supports multiple RATs. The focus of the Evolved Packet System work is on enhancement of Packet Switched technology to cope with rapid growth in IP traffic.
The objectives of the Evolved Packet System are to:
– Provide higher data rates, lower latency, high level of security and enhanced QoS;
– Support a variety of different access systems (existing and future), ensuring mobility and service continuity between these access systems;
– Support access system selection based on a combination of operator policies, user preference and access network conditions;
– Realise improvements in basic system performance whilst maintaining the negotiated QoS across the whole system;
– Provide capabilities for co-existence with legacy systems and migration to the Evolved Packet System.