26.5013GPP5G Media Streaming (5GMS)General description and architectureRelease 18TS
A 5GMS Application Provider may request media processing to be performed on its media data. This can be instantiated as part of the Uplink or Downlink streaming.
The media processing is performed by a set of 5GMS AS instances , which may need to build complex media processing workflows. The 5GMS AF coordinates the media processing and ensures that the appropriate QoS and traffic handling for the session are provided.
7.2 Media Processing Procedures for Downlink
As part of setting up a Content Hosting Configuration for downlink media streaming, a 5GMSd Application Provider may request custom processing to be performed.
The following processing operations may be available:
– Adaptive Bit Rate (ABR) Encoding, Encryption and Encapsulation.
– MPD (e.g. MPD) Generator and Segment (e.g. DASH) Packager.
– Content Replacement (e.g. Ad insertion, blackouts, regional content):
– MPD (e.g. MPD) modification.
– App Server: other content enrichment functions such as Closed Caption insertion, object detection, content filtering, etc.
The procedures are as follows:
Figure 7.2-1: Media Processing Procedures for Downlink
The steps are as follows:
1. Upon setting up a Content Hosting Configuration, the 5GMSd Application Provider requests media processing to be set up. The 5GMSd Application Provider provides a description of the type and placement of the processing. The 5GMS System may only allow a shortlisted set of media processing functions to be used by the 5GMSd Application Provider.
2. The 5GMSd AF provisions a selected set of 5GMSd AS(s) to fulfil the requested media processing in the appropriate placement. Depending on the configuration, one or multiple AS(s) may be involved.
3. The 5GMSd AS(s) confirm successful provisioning to the 5GMSd AF.
4. The 5GMSd AF confirms the successful creation of the Content Hosting Configuration with the requested media processing to the external Media application server.
5. A 5GMSd Client sends a request for media content to one of the 5GMSd AS(s) listed in the provisioned Content Hosting Configuration (see clause 5.4).
6. If it does not already have a copy of the requested media cached, the 5GMSd AS fetches the media from the 5GMSd Application Provider.
7. The 5GMSd AS processes the ingested media based on the provisioned media processing workflow.
8. The 5GMSd AS serves the requested media to the 5GMSd Client after successful media processing.
Different variants of these procedures may be possible, depending on the type of processing, the placement of the processing, and the characteristics of the Content Hosting Configuration.
7.3 Media Processing Procedures for Uplink
The 5GMSu AF instructs the 5GMSu AS to perform processing of the media according to the provided media processing document.
The procedure is defined as follows:
Figure 7.3-1: Media Processing Procedures for Uplink
The steps are as follows:
1. Setup of uplink streaming configuration: The 5GMSu Application Provider sends a request to start an uplink session to the 5GMSu AF. The request contains a description of the media processing that is to be performed by the 5GMSu AS. Depending on the configuration one 5GMSu AS may be involved.
2. Provision 5GMSu AS: The 5GMSu AF parses the media processing description and provisions the 5GMSu AS that will perform the requested processing. If the requested processing is not accepted, the session creation fails.
3. 5GMSu AS ready: The 5GMSu AS confirms the correct configuration and informs the 5GMSu AF that it is ready to receive and process media as requested.
4. Confirm uplink streaming configuration: The 5GMSu AF confirms the successful creation of the uplink streaming configuration to the 5GMSu Application Provider.
5. Uplink streaming session starts: the session is triggered in the 5GMSu Client.
6. Uplink media streaming: Media content is streamed from the 5GMSu Client to the 5GMSu AS.
7. The 5GMSu AS process(es) the received media based on the provisioned media processing.